Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ewww...Meatloaf

I used to hate meatloaf.  I think I still do hate traditional meatloaf.  Something about a slab of greasy ground meat...ugh.  But I *do* like turkey meatloaf, as well as interestingly flavored loaves of beef.

And so, a few nights ago, I produced a meatloaf masterpiece.  I combined one pound each of ground beef and ground turkey.  I added a couple of egg whites to cut the fat but bind the meats.  A box of cornbread stuffing took the place of breadcrumbs.  And for the flavorings...well, there were many.

I was looking for chili powder and cumin, but was out.  Instead, I sauteed an onion in low sodium taco seasoning. 

Sauteed Onions for the Meatloaf

I added the onions to the meatloaf along with one chipotle in adobo, a 4 oz can of green chiles, and half a can of enchilada sauce. 

Ew.  Meatloaf Ingredients.

Mixing the Meatloaf

Mixing the Meatloaf

I should point out that those are NOT my hands.  Last time I checked, I don't have man hands (or a wedding ring indentation).  Dad mixed for me so I could take some photos.

Finished Meatloaf

The other half of the can of enchilada sauce was reserved for the top of the loaf.  (Ironically, Meatloaf is playing in iTunes at this very minute!)

The verdict: good, but a little too Sandra Lee / Rachael Ray for me.  I prefer to use more natural ingredients (seriously -- stuffing?  TACO SEASONING?!).  I suppose that's my next step.  But I made a meatloaf I actually enjoyed eating, and that's a bit of an accomplishment.

No comments: