Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Best Pancakes Ever!

On Superbowl Sunday, my mother decided she wanted to follow a recipe for cole slaw that required buttermilk. Not wanting to throw the remainder away like we usually do, she asked me to come up with some use for the 3/4 of a quart of buttermilk. Now, I don't know about you, but when I hear buttermilk, I think...PANCAKES!

I've kind of been craving pancakes lately. I don't really know why. It might actually have been a maple syrup craving because waffles sounded great too, but no need to over-analyze...wait, that's what I do best -- over-analyze. How'm'I doin'?

I decided to check out Cook's Illustrated's website for a suitable recipe. I also looked for buttermilk biscuits, but I'm way too lazy for that. I found a really simple recipe.

It required:


1 EGG WHITE! Whipped to soft peaks. I did it by hand cuz I was too lazy to go downstairs and lug up the KitchenAid. Which is funny because it would have been a lot faster with the mixer, even counting transport and cleaning. Also, today is Tuesday. I made these pancakes Saturday morning. My arm still hurts. I need to work on my prolonged whisking skills.


I gently folded (why isn't it feld?) my egg white into a mixture of buttermilk, 1 egg yolk, some flour, some baking powder, sugar, and melted butter. I also threw in a pinch of cinnamon and wished I'd actually used my vanilla sugar. See how nice a folding job I did?


Now, I don't give my brother credit for much, but Dolores does make some fine pancakes. He uses Bisquik, and I don't actually have any problem with that. But Bisquik doesn't use buttermilk, so...yeah. But I think I know why I like my brother's pancakes so much...GREASE! My recipe said to lightly oil a griddle. Heh. I added a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil to my nonstick skillet. My pancake got a really delicious, greasy crust of golden-brown awesome-ness. Pour on the Aunt Jemimah!


Here's a cross-section of my magical pancake. It's a lousy photo, but I think you can see the fluffiness and airiness and other lightness synonyms. Yeah, synonyms. Funny cuz there was cinnamon in the pancakes. Oh, and I'm serious about the Aunt Jemimah. Actually, it was AJ lite. I actually hate real maple syrup, but pretend to love it when I'm in Vermont.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: