Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Caramelized Onion Pasta

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for a meat-free meal as it was a Friday during Lent. I recalled a recipe I had read about by Martha Stewart -- Caramelized Garlic and Shallot Pasta. It was rainy and I didn't have the arse-load of shallots the recipe called for, so I used onions instead -- a combo of white and red onions.

As you can see from the photos, I used a ton of onions and a lot of garlic. Also, I got the onions beautifully caramelized. However, I HATED this dish. It was terrible. Now, when my mother saw what I had made, she was confused because I don't ordinarily like onions. But these were beautifully caramelized onions and they'd be perfect on a steak. But on pasta -- no way. This is one of the few dishes I've made that I really, really didn't like at all. It just didn't have much flavor, and what flavor it did have was disgusting.

Do you think shallots would have made all the difference?

No comments: